Sunday, January 10, 2010

Take it From Me

I've been sick for the past week. I admit, I put off going to the doctor because I kept thinking I would get better. We've all done that, right? Well, I finally go and think that, because I'm a nurse, the doctor can trust that I know what I'm talking about and am not just trying to cop a thrill by whining about my illness. I mean, really! I don't enjoy being sick. Anyway, I describe my symptoms and ask for his professional opinion. "Don't you think I need some antibiotics?" "No," he says. "This is viral. You need rest and fluids and you'll be fine."

Now, I'd like to argue, but I'm thinking this is a professional physician, who has listened attentively to what I've said and he's given his honest opinion. Yeah right. I think he was in a hurry to get to the next exam room. And as I was in a hurry to get to an interview, I allowed it to slip by without a comment. So now, it's two days later, I'm sicker than I was, I have lost my voice, and been forced to call in sick to work. I somehow feel if I'd pressed for the antibiotics, I would have started feeling better and not lost my voice.

And don't get me started on the cough medicine. It's Hycodan. It has codeine in it. Take one teaspoon every 4 to 6 hours for cough, the label reads. Nice. Except it doesn't work. I tried that. I tried that all night for the first night before giving up and sucking down a bag of Halls. So today, a nurse friend of mine suggests that I either, be more liberal in my dosing or ask for something stronger. As I can't talk, I opted for the liberal dosing. You're seeing the edited version of this. Ha, I've fallen asleep once while typing.

I guessed I'm "morally outraged" by healthcare's stubborn insistence to ignore the patient's opinion and insights. I'm a nurse, I know I do it too. But when the shoes on the other foot, it pisses me off. I don't seek drugs. I don't waste my doctor's time with hypochondria. I am compliant with my meds. I am honestly looking for helpful advice. Why do I get lumped in with the drug-seeking lay-abouts who line his office? Perhaps it is the physicians code of not listening to nurses? Whatever the reason, I am sitting here with nasal cavities crammed full of snot (that's greeny brown), a nasty cough that occasionally makes me gag and vomit, and no voice to scream about the injustice of it all. Hence the post. No real point. Just felt like bitching.

No comments:

Post a Comment